Moving People

News

  • uzo403

Uganda Seeks to Build a Bridge Over DR Congo to Boost Trade





Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo on June 16, 2021, launched a 223km road project, linking the two countries - a venture that is envisioned to provide a boost to cross border trade and improve security and connectivity between the two countries.


Trade figures from the Ugandan central bank indicate growing trade between Kampala and DRC. Although the country is still eclipsed by Uganda's other neighbours, Kenya and South Sudan, its share of Ugandan export trade has been growing steadily. For example, Uganda's informal exports to DRC more than doubled from U.S.$140 million in 2014 to U.S.$330 million in 2019.


Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni and his DR Congo counterpart Felix Tshisekedi said the infrastructure will transform the socio economic welfare of citizens in both countries.The project will be financed within the framework of a public-private partnership with Ugandan company DOTT Services, at 60% of the works. The remaining 40% will be shared equally by Kinshasa and Kampala.

0 views
construction-image1.jpg

Subscribe and keep up to date with all the latest news from Oakmark