OUR NEWS

Pentagon authorizes $1 bn for Trump’s border wall

March 29, 2019

 

Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan has authorized $1 billion to build part of the wall sought by Donald Trump along the US-Mexico border, the first funds designated for the project under the president’s emergency declaration.

 

The Department of Homeland Security asked the Pentagon to build 57 miles (92 kilometers) of 18-foot (5.5-meter) fencing, construct and improve roads, and install lighting to support Trump’s emergency declaration.

 

Shanahan “authorized the commander of the US Army Corps of Engineers to begin planning and executing up to $1 billion in support to the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol,” a Pentagon statement issued late Monday read.


The acting defense secretary cited a federal law that he said gives the Pentagon broad authority to build infrastructure “across international boundaries of the United States in support of counter-narcotic activities of federal law enforcement agencies.”

 

The statement was released a day before Shanahan was due to testify in Congress to present and defend the Pentagon’s draft budget.

 

The White House has laid out an ambitious 2020 budget proposal which contains $8.6 billion in new wall funding, above the $5.7 billion Trump sought for this year.

 

Frustrated by Congress’s refusal to provide the budget he wanted, Trump declared a national emergency last month.

 

The White House has signalled it will seek to repurpose some $6 billion from military funds, without specifying which Pentagon programs would be slashed.

The move drew condemnation from both the president’s rival Democrats and fellow Republicans, who warned it was an abuse of presidential powers and created a dangerous precedent.

 

Trump has made border security an over-arching domestic issue and says it will remain at the center of the agenda in his 2020 reelection bid.

 

Although there has been a surge in the arrival of families and children at the border, overall apprehensions at the frontier are down substantially from a decade or more ago.

 

Military misgivings 

 

There have also been reported misgivings within the military, including from America’s top marine who last week warned that deployments to the US-Mexico border pose an “unacceptable risk” to the force, according to documents obtained by The Los Angeles Times.

 

In memos addressed to acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan and Navy secretary Richard Spencer, General Robert Neller wrote that he had been forced to cancel or reduce exercises in five countries.

 

Neller added the declaration meant the corps could not afford to rebuild hurricane-hit bases in North Carolina and Georgia.

“The hurricane season is only three months away… and we have Marines, Sailors, and civilians working in compromised structures,” Neller wrote.

Please reload

Recent Posts

Please reload

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Keep up to date with the latest news and services from Oakmark Global Vision

WEST AFRICA'S NO.1 ECONOMIC AGENTS

REGIONAL OFFICE

INTERNATIONAL OFFICE

CONNECT WITH US

SITE MENU

1 Kandi Close, Off Aminu Kano

Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja F.C.T

Nigeria 

King Court, 17 School Road
Hall Green Birmingham
United Kingdom  B28, 8JG

+234 -(0)- 929 207 02
+234 (0) 808 643 0422

+44 (0) 121 244 1814
+44 (0) 746 625 2505

© 2019 Oakmark Global Vision Ltd - All Rights Reserved.

UK Company No. 07634879 / Nigeria Company No. RC 1288232

WEST AFRICA'S NO.1 ECONOMIC AGENTS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon